In a prior post, we detailed the holiday schedule of UPS Canada, and this time around we are going to focus on the FedEx US holiday schedule. Obviously, this time of year is positively buzzing for courier services like UPS and FedEx, as retailers and consumers, reticent to trust the regular post with their precious holiday packages, turn to these alternatives for reliability and expedience.
For our part, we here at netParcel are available year-round to help you get the cheapest international shipping from Canada and the US. However, around the holidays, courier services like FedEx experience changes to availability, policy changes and occasional weather delays. In this article, we will walk through what days FedEx will close, when the last days to ship for the 24th will be, and changes to the Money Back Guarantee policy.
Holiday Closures for FedEx
Like most businesses, FedEx observes certain national holidays. As a last minute planning guide for eCommerce retailers and customers, here are the days in which FedEx will experience changes to availability:
- On December 22nd, FedEx SmartPost will experience modified service (which just means that no pickups will be made).
- On December 23rd, most FedEx services are closed. The exceptions are FedEx Office, FedEx Trade Networks, and – the service that is open 365 days a year – FedEx Custom Critical.
- On December 24th, Christmas Eve, FedEx Home Delivery and FedEx Freight will be closed. FedEx Express will close certain services, like on-call pickups. FedEx Office will have modified hours, closing by 6pm. The rest is business as usual.
- On December 25th, Christmas Day, all but the Custom Critical service will be closed.
- On December 26th, Boxing Day, all services will be open and available.
- On December 29th, FedEx Ground, Smart Post and Freight will be closed.
- On December 30th, most FedEx services are closed. The exceptions are Office, Trade Networks and Custom Critical.
- On December 31st, New Year’s Eve, Express will close early in some areas. The office will close by 6pm. FedEx Home Delivery will be unavailable. Freight will only be open with prearranged pickups. The rest are open.
- On January 1st, New Year’s Day, all but the Custom Critical Services will be closed.
2018 Last Days to Ship
At netParcel, it’s our job to negotiate the cheapest shipping with the US for you and your business, but the timing is all up to you. To stay prepared, here are the last days to ship for arrival on or before December 25th:
- For US to US packages, FedEx says the following: Ground and Home Delivery should ship by December 17th; Express Saver should ship by December 19th; FedEx 2-Day should ship by December 20th; FedEx Overnight should ship by December 21st.
- For US to Canada Packages, they say the following: International Ground Delivery should ship by December 13th; International Economy should ship by December 20th; International First or International Priority should ship by December 21st, And International Next Flight can ship on December 25th.
Changes to the Money Back Guarantee
This is just a quick note that FedEx’s Money Back Guarantee will be suspended between December 18th and December 24th The change in policy applies to the majority of their services – you can see what services the suspension applies to here.
Hopefully, this article will be of some help, either to you last-minute shippers or last-minute shoppers out there. Remember, for any small parcel shipping services you need, netParcel is here to help, negotiating the cheapest rates available. Happy holiday, and a happy New Year!