A quick reminder of each carrier’s size and weight restrictions is found below. Please bookmark this blog posting for reference should you require a quick reference guide when shipping:
UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages that you send with all UPS services. The restrictions below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment.
- Packages can be up to 150 lbs (68 kg)
- Packages can be up to 165 inches (419 cm) in length and girth combined
- Packages can be up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length
- Packages that weigh more than 70 lbs (31.5 kg, 25 kg within the EU) require a special heavy-package label
- Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations
Note: Packages that exceed UPS weight and size limits are subject to an Over Maximum Limits charge.
The limits listed above apply to most packages and destinations, but there are some variances because of different local restrictions in some countries. Please contact UPS for more details.
• With FedEx Express® U.S. services, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs.; up to 119″ in length and 165″ in length and girth.
• With FedEx Express international services, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs.; up to 108″ in length and 130″ in length and girth.
• With FedEx Express® Freight Services, you can ship individual skids of 150 lbs. or more. Skids exceeding 2,200 lbs. in weight or exceeding 70″ in height, 119″ in length, or 80″ in width require prior approval.
• With FedEx Ground® services, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs.; up to 108″ in length and 165″ in length plus girth.
• With FedEx Home Delivery® services, you can ship packages up to 70 lbs.; up to 108″ in length and 165″ in length plus girth.
Place yellow and black safety heavyweight labels over the diagonal corners of your package if it weighs more than 75 lbs. To get the labels, contact your FedEx Express courier or FedEx account executive, or go to a FedEx Office® Print and Ship Center or FedEx World Service Center®
For Courier Shipments
Shipments within and to Canada
The following size limitations apply to all courier shipments travelling within and to Canada:
• Purolator Express® Shipments travelling via Purolator’s air network (whether in whole or in part):
• Maximum length: 96” (approx. 244 cm)
• Maximum size*: 144” (approx. 366 cm)
• Purolator Ground® Shipments and Purolator Express® Shipments not travelling via Purolator’s air network:
• Maximum length: 120” (approx. 305 cm)
• Maximum size*: 216” (approx. 549 cm)
Shipments from Canada
• The following size limitations apply to all courier shipments travelling from Canada:
• Maximum length: 108” (approx. 274 cm)
• Maximum size*: 165” (approx. 419 cm)
• Maximum weight per piece: 150 lb (approx. 68 kg)
• Maximum weight per shipment: Unlimited
For all origins and destinations, Special Handling charges may apply. See Purolator Specialized Services – Special Handling for details. For courier shipments, where agents or subcontractors are used, more restrictive size and weight limitations than those set out above may apply. Please contact Purolator for details.
For Freight Shipments
The maximum height applicable per piece in a shipment is 8 ft (approx. 2 m). If a freight shipment cannot be stacked (or has a height of 6 ft or more) or cannot be placed alongside another freight shipment in the trailer, it will be ascribed a height or width of 8 ft (approx. 2 m). Please contact Purolator for details regarding maximum lengths and widths per piece in a shipment.
Any freight shipment that occupies a length of 10 ft (approx. 3 m) or more of trailer space will be ascribed a weight of 1,000 lb per linear foot. Subject to availability and Purolator pre-approval, shipments exceeding Purolator Freight’s size and weight limitations may travel through Purolator’s freight distribution system for an additional charge. Please contact Purolator for details.
Packages are restricted to a maximum of 150 lbs. in weight and 72 inches in length for both air and ground shipments, for all destinations.